1. Choose your layer cake. I chose 10 little things by Jenn Ski
2. Pre cut your inner triangles by cutting a 3 1/2 inch strip into 3 1/2 inch squares
3.Then cut them into half square triangles ( I cut 4 layers at once to speed this up)
4.Sort them into piles and set aside
6. Now cut the outer triangles by cutting the layer cake into 8 sections
4 x 5 inch squares (layer cakes are 10 inches square)
then cut these into half square triangles
7. Sort them into piles and set aside
8. Cut the centre squares, I fussy cut these (as best I could) to utilise the prints.
The Squares are 4 1/2 inches x 4 1/2 inches
9. Sew on small half square triangle to opposite sides of the square
10. press them open with seams outwards
11. Sew on the other 2 smaller triangles and trim the dog ears and square up the block
12. The block should measure 6 inches square
12. Repeat this process with the four larger triangles.
The trimmed completed square should measure 9 1/4 inches.
13. Make as many as these as you need.
I am using 24 blocks in each quilt, so am getting 2 quilts out of one layer cake
(plus sashing and border fabric)
I am about to order some fabric online, and when it arrives will post stage 2 of the tutorial
Completing the quilt top